Looks like it’s that time of year in Ohio, A.K.A. spring, A.K.A. where temps are all over the place. With winter getting its final words in and summer making surprise heat-wave appearances, your home needs to be prepared for whatever today’s spring weather brings.
Here’s some of the most common issues you may run into with your AC unit as you get it up and running this spring:
- Dirty air filters:
- Over the winter months, air filters can often get forgotten. Queue the piles of dust and debris, which clog those filters up and reduce the airflow, making your cooling work harder than it needs to. This blockage could put more pressure on the unit and can cause it to become overheated. Make sure to clean or replace your filters as the spring weather rolls in!
- Low refrigerant levels:
- If your AC is blowing warm air or not cooling the home as well as it should, low refrigerant levels may be the culprit. If your cooling system is low on refrigerant, it loses the ability to transfer heat from inside your home to the outside. This means that the air that is blown over your AC coils will no longer cool properly, so your vents will start to circulate warm air through your home.
- Clogged condensate drain:
- Your condensate drain being an enclosed, wet space makes it a prime location for mold, mildew, and sludge to make it their home. Dirt, debris, and even bugs can also cause clogs in the line over time, leading to water backups and potential damage to your air conditioning system. This could be happening to your home if:
- Air conditioner is not cooling your home
- AC is dripping water
- AC won’t turn on
- Higher energy bills
- Malfunctioning thermostat:
- A faulty thermostat may be to blame if the air conditioner short cycles and runs almost nonstop. You may also experience your home seeming warmer than your desired temperature setting, or the AC not turning on at all. And that’s not cool.
As weather rapidly changes during this Ohio spring, we want nothing more than for you to be comfortable in your home. At Reliant, we are here to help you with all of your heating and cooling system needs, including installation, repair, and more! If you do end up with a problem that needs a bit more professional help, we’ve seen and fixed it all here at Reliant Home Heating and Cooling and we’re available 24/7. We’re a small-town, friendly company that’s developed some serious, big-city skills over the last 40-years, serving the likes of Marysville, Powell, Dublin, Plain City, Hilliard, Delaware and more.