The minute frost hits Ohio, everyone gets a bad case of what we call “Firsto-thermostata-phobia.” It’s the sheer panic that comes over you when you have an old or iffy furnace and you turn the thermostat up for the first time heading into winter. No one wants that dreaded furnace crash. A sudden malfunction in these systems can be frustrating and inconvenient, but fear not—it might just be a simple fix! We’ll walk you through a few common reasons your HVAC isn’t working. And if you still can’t figure it out, we’d be happy to pop over and figure it out for you. Our team has been servicing the HVAC for the “big auto manufacturer out in Marysville” for years, so you could say we know a thing or two about furnaces.
Common HVAC Issues
- No Heat or Cool Air:
- Possible Causes: Check the thermostat settings, inspect the air filter, and ensure the circuit breaker is not tripped.
- Solution: Adjust thermostat settings, replace filters regularly, and reset the breaker if necessary.
- Uneven Heating or Cooling:
- Possible Causes: Sometimes an HVAC isn’t working because of blocked vents, dirty filters, or issues with the ductwork.
- Solution: Ensure vents are open and unobstructed, clean or replace filters, and inspect ducts for leaks.
- Strange Noises:
- Possible Causes: Rattling, banging, or squealing may indicate loose parts, debris, or a failing motor.
- Solution: Tighten loose components, clear debris around the unit, and consider professional assistance for motor issues.
- Frequent Cycling:
- Possible Causes: Improperly sized unit, thermostat issues, or a clogged filter.
- Solution: We can help you assess system sizing, calibrate the thermostat, and maintain a clean filter.
- High Energy Bills:
- Possible Causes: Inefficient equipment, poor insulation, or air leaks.
- Solution: Upgrade to energy-efficient HVAC systems, improve insulation, and seal air leaks in your home.
- Thermostat Malfunctions:
- Possible Causes: Dead batteries, faulty wiring, or calibration issues.
- Solution: Replace batteries, check wiring, and recalibrate the thermostat settings.
If your HVAC isn’t working, we know it can make for a bad day. Understanding the basics of HVAC troubleshooting can empower you to address minor issues. But we get that sometimes there are just more complex things that need a professional eye. Or times when you just don’t have the time to troubleshoot! When your HVAC isn’t working, just give us a call. We’ve got a small-town friendly team with some big-city experience. And we’d love to help.